Sunday, December 31, 2006

STALKING MICHAEL SAVAGE!


On July 15, 2006, I was walking through fog-shrouded North Beach in San Francisco, and sitting at one of Pinochio's sidewalk tables was Michael Savage, his wife Judith, a pair of cronies & a hovering bodyguard. I knew it was Savage, because a year ago I had encountered him at the Rosh Hashanah service at the Crowne Plaza nr. Union Square.

Even though Savage refuses to admit he is Jewish, nonetheless he gives significant financial support to the Synagogue. He fears his vast audience on the radio (he broadcasts from 3 undisclosed "bunkers") might become alienated, and thus lose ratings, if they find out he is not a Christian.

As a amateur stalker, I circled the block & prepared my attack. When I reappeared in front of his table, he motioned with his hands for me to approach him. He gave a signal to his bodyguard that I presented no threat. "Whatcha got there?", he asked. Savage was apprehensive because two weeks earlier, a scalding expose was published in the San Francisco weekly. http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2006-07-19/news/feature.html

I handed him the book and asked him to sign it. He graciously complied. His wife Judith sat there the whole time and didn't utter a word. All she did was chainsmoke Marlboro's. Who would have thought that the wife of a health freak such as Savage would be puffing on cancer sticks? I disappeared into the fog with his very illusive signature in my book!

In a future blog I will talk about The Savage Nation and his Hofbrau Hangout: Schroeders, in San Francisco.

No comments: