Saturday, January 13, 2007

John Lennon Educational Tour Bus - Expo

I interviewed Steve Miller, a Virginia boy, at Hotel Nikko, who is the chief engineer of the John Lennon Educational Tour bus. He gave the keynote address to 4,000 at the Mac Expo, in SF. I asked him to tell me his favorite John Lennon anecdote. When John was 9 years old, his Aunt Mimi gave him a guitar, and immediately regretted it. "The guitar is a great hobby, John, but you'll never make a living at it." (Note: The mother of Kurt Cobain issued the same warning to her son in Seattle. When someone asked him years later, what goes through your mind when you play a guitar solo, his quip? "Less than you can possibly imagine".) Steve Miller & his group criscross the country, in order to teach kids in high schools & college how to make and record videos! Some of my favorite lines by & about John Lennon:
Headmaster to the smart 5-year-old Liverpudlian. "There's no need to worry about him. He's as sharp as a needle. But he won't do anything he doesn't want to."

You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be alright.

Imagine all the people
Living life as one
I know you say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...

John Lennon (1940-1980)
A dreamer to the end...

1/13/07
Later, at the Hotel Chancello, I interviewed Ian & Dax, Software Engineers, from Quebec here for the Mac convention. Ian teased, "we were going to say we were from Texas just to be naughty & play the devil's advocate" about a remark I made about the BORAT for President button. They had this to say about the John Lennon tour bus:

Ian: It's ridiculous to correlate the John Lennon tour bus with a multi-national organization even if it IS Mac, which he supports. It's oxymoronic.

Dax: No, No, No, I disagree. A company can have its heroes: Castro, Maria Callas, John Lennon(these were some of the posters at the Moscone Center hall). Apple is GREAT!

Why? What makes it great, I asked? Dax was very forthcoming about Apple's virtues:
1. Innovation
2. Thinking outside the box.
3. Changing people's lives through technology.

The driver was waiting outside to take them to Muir Woods & I disappeared into Union Square to seize the day! Carpe diem!

No comments: