Monday, January 15, 2007

Martin Luther King, Jr. - Sneak Peak Literary Lounge; Hotel Metropolis, SF

Playwright, Larry Americ Allen; "Shakespeare's Lost Manuscript." Hotel Metropolis, 25 Mason St. San Francisco. Mondays 6-8p.m. Downstairs is farmerbrowns which serves soul food with a California spin at this Tenderloin rookie. You'll find farm-fresh organic food from Bay Area African-American farmers. Have a Southern comfort with mint julep w/ jim beam bourbon, muddled fresh mint & soda at the long rough-hewn bar. Hipsters hang out here at this "trendyloin" upscale chowhouse. Try the Southern fried chicken w/ arugula & dirty rice (celery, onions, parsley, sweet bell peppers) or the pulled pork sandwich. They provide light refreshment upstairs at SPLL with John Templeton hosting a branD new weekly author readings. Metropolis provides the wine.

"Shakespeare..." A play reading about a Pacific Heights college professor in a life-long search for an undiscovered work by the bard who has to negotiate with a homeless sailor to finally acquire it. The black homeless man tells him, "you're a credit to your race." Americ hopes to bring the play to ACT next year. Next stop: Broadway.
***
Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)
What did you do on Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday? His conscience would not let him remain silent. In a speech at Riverside Church, NYC,1967. "I have moved to break betrayal of my own silences and speak from burnings of my own heart...I knew I could never again raise my voice against violence of oppressed in the ghettos without having spoken clearly to greatest purveyor of violence in world today: My own government."
***
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." (1963)
***
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they
will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.(1963)
***Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. (August 3, 1963)

No comments: