Sunday, August 26, 2007

PESCE: INTRIGUING SMALL PLATES FISH JOINT; HUMOR OF FRED ALLEN

Pesce; 2227 Polk Street (Green); 928-8025 is an intriguing, convivial place where the fish are still wiggling. The creative North Italian (Venetian) vittles made with organic ingredients is a Russian Hill neighborhood-er with scrumptious seafood served on small plates that aren't small in flavor. Affordable prices add to the appeal. I came here with my best friend Zontar, and we share thoughts on the pro's and cons of living in San Francisco. Someone said we were given l tongue and 2 ears so we should listen twice as much and I've been listening to a lot of people who are wild about the City-by-the-Bay. Weather, diversity of food, ethnic neighborhoods, cultural amenities top the list. Cons? Freedom not to associate with sports nuts (me). Can smell crab at Fisherman's Wharf but can't go swimming there (boo hoo). If you decide to eat at Pesce, here's what I would recommend:

Rucola: baby organic arugula, saved fennel, Parmesan and lemon. (6)
Oysters: today's selection of oysters on the half shell (A.Q.)
Linguine: Dungeness crab, garlic, white wine and chili flakes. (12)
Salmone: Sustainably raised Atlantic salmon, pesto and fregula sardo (13).
Desserts:Vanilla bean gelato, brownies, chocolate and whipped cream. (7).

HUMORIST RADIO VETERAN FRED ALLEN WAS FAMOUS FOR SAYING HOLLYWOOD IS A GREAT PLACE IF YOU ARE AN ORANGE:
An actor's success has the life expectancy of a small boy about to look into a gas tank with a lighted match.
Advertising is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission.
I have just returned from Boston.. It is the only thing to do if you find yourself up there.
A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.
During Samuel Johnson days we had big men enjoying small talk; today we have small guys enjoying big talk.
Hollywood is a place where people from Iowa mistake each other for movie stars.
You can take all of the sincerity in Hollywood, place it in the navel of a fruit fly, and still have room enough for 3 caraway seeds and a producer's heart.
If I could get my membership fee back, I'd resign from the human race.
I learned law so well, the day I graduated I sued the college, won the case, and got my tuition back.
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted.

No comments: